Queridos-
I don't have enough time right now to tell the whole story of Carmen and my trip to the consulate to request a tourist visa, so I will just give the quick facts for now. This post should be followed up in the next day or two by a complete retelling of the shame and umbrage which we should all feel upon learning of the treatment our government metes out to anyone not fortunate enough to have been born on U.S. soil or to U.S. citizens; something which I imagine most of us are intellectually aware of if not in fact personally acquainted with.
The facts: Carmen was denied a tourist visa. Without due process. A point felt all the more acutely as she handily met and surpassed the threshold required to receive a tourist visa. The immigration policies of the U.S. government are arrogant, imperialistic while at the same time xenophobic, kafka-esque and fear inducing amongst other things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
i know it doesn't address the heavy-handedness of american immigration policy, but some small consolation:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f88f8d6385
I do not know the facts at all yet, but I do wonder if the process would go smoother with already purchased tickets through a tourist service or something of the like. Having a plane ticket made my expedited passport happen in 5 days during a time when it was taking everyone else weeks and months and lets not forget about when my passort got lifted in Japan!
Post a Comment